I believe that everything in the universe is endowed with a spirit or energy. As an artist, I try to capture the essence of this spirit in images. I observe and sense and then react to my subject and my own mark-making. I am intuitive in this approach to capture the subject. I also think of my works as rhythmic explorations using gestural lines interwoven with the paint surface to create a sense of immediacy and depth in the developing image.
- Red Gate Gallery Art Residency Program, Beijing, China.
- Corcoran School of Art, Washington, D.C.
- Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, VT.
- Art League School, Alexandria, VA.
- Meramec College, St. Louis, MO.
- Mira Costa College, Oceanside, CA.
- L’Institut Catholique, Paris, France
- B.S., Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL.
SOLO & GROUP EXHIBITIONS (Selected)
- “Explorations and Meanderings”, Studio Gallery, Washington DC 2017
- “In the Flow”, Studio Gallery, 2016
- “10 by 10”, Planb Gallery, DC, 2015
- “Earth, Sea and Sky”, Studio Gallery 2015
- “Floating Worlds”, Studio Gallery DC 2014
- “Sky Mind” Studio Gallery DC 2012
- “Chaotic Harmony”, Studio Gallery, DC 2010
- “Passages” Planb Gallery, Washington DC 2009
- “Harvest Songs”, Studio Gallery , Washington, DC 2006
- “Vykrucaj”, Slovak Embassy, Washington, DC 2005 U.S. Dept of Health & Human Services, National Institute of Health, Washington, DC 2003
- “Connections”, The Art League Gallery, Alexandria, Va. 2002
- “Rhythm for the Ages”, Studio Gallery, Washington DC 2001
- Our Common Threads, Joan Hisaoka Gallery, Washington DC, 2017
- Chefs, Strathmore Mansion, Rockville, Md. 2016
- Art In Embassies Program, U.S. State Dept., Hong Kong 2003-2005
- “Journeys from Home”, U.S. State Dept , Eastern Europe Regional Section
- “Journeys from Home”, Gallery planb, Washington, DC
- “And who is my Neighbor”, Washington Theological Union 2001
- “Reflections on the Desert”, Washington Theological Union” 2002
- “Behold the New Humanity”, Georgetown, University 2000
- “Images for Healing”, A Corcoran Alumni Exhibit at NIH, Washington DC 2000
- Shaw Pittman Law Office, McLean
- Ye Shanghai/Kowloon, China
- Washington Theological Union
- Private collections in U.S., England, China, and other countries.
- 2017 Jenkins, Mark. Washington Post, In the Flow, April 23, 2016
- 2002 Williams, David. Endowed with Spirit. Elan, May 2002
In collaboration with Studio Gallery and the Living Classroom Foundation, I developed and implemented several summer art workshops for a group of middle school students, The Queen Beez. Projects focusing on the elements of art were referenced with identity themes. (2014-2016)
Bethel – During my time in China from 2005 – 08, I developed an arts program for visually impaired orphans that both matched and stretched the children’s understanding of beauty and the creative process.